801-261-0674 local 801-892-5067 fax


3 Tips to Source Birth Certificates and Other Eligibility Proofs

Your citizenship status is key to meeting your eligibility requirements to receive Social Security Disability benefits. You can speed your disability case along by gathering having your citizenship documentation available. If you live in Utah, Colorado, or Wyoming, here are three tips to help you organize your citizenship status paperwork.

  1. Start With Your State or Territory

Your birth certificate establishes your place of birth and your U.S. citizenship. You need an official stamped certificate from the vital records department of the state or territory in which you were born.

If you were born in a U.S. state or territory outside of Colorado, Utah, or Wyoming, you can request a birth certificate online from your birth state or territory. Most states and U.S. territories operate vital records departments through their respective state departments of health.

If you were born in Colorado, Utah, or Wyoming, you can request a replacement birth certificate through each state’s online vital records service. You can also order replacement birth certificates in person at one of the individual county offices of vital records.

Colorado’s vital records department is overseen by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment. Whether ordered online, by mail, or in person, your birth certificate may also be ordered for you by relatives and others.

People who can order a birth certificate for you in Colorado include your:

  • Siblings
  • Spouse
  • Parents
  • Step-parents
  • Adult children
  • Grandparents
  • Grandchildren
  • Legal guardian or lawyer

To order a Colorado birth certificate for another person, you will need to bring proof of your relationship. The main vital records office is located in Denver, but Colorado also provides vital records services through health department offices in dozens of locations across the state.

The Utah Department of Health issues birth certificates through its Office of Vital Records and Statistics. You can order either through the mail or online, or you can visit public and county health departments to order your birth certificate in person. As in Colorado, spouses, grandchildren, and other immediate relatives may order birth certificates for you.

Wyoming’s Department of Health offers replacement birth certificates through its Vital Statistics Services. Wyoming has stricter rules on who may receive a birth certificate. With rare exceptions, only you, your parents (as named on the birth certificate), your lawyer, or a legal guardian may order birth certificates on your behalf.

  1. Locate Your Proof of U.S. Citizenship

Were you born overseas but one or both of your parents were U.S. citizens? Were you born in another country to a parent who was serving in the military? In both cases, you generally have a right to U.S. citizenship.

Your parent may have registered your birth with the consular office in the country where you were born. If so, you should have a copy of Form FS-240, also known as the Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA).

You may have had a U.S. passport issued in your name. Sometimes, parents secure both a CRBA and a passport for their kids. As long as your passport was updated and is currently unexpired, the document is proof of your U.S. citizenship on its own.

If your parent or parents were serving in the military, you should have official documents relating to your citizenship status. If your parents didn’t pursue proof of your U.S. citizenship for you, you may need additional documentation to prove your parent’s dates and locations of military service and other details about your birth.

U.S. citizenship is a tricky legal area for some people born overseas to at least one U.S. parent. There are loopholes and hoops to jump through, so seek legal assistance if you can’t source the documents you need to prove eligibility for a Social Security Disability claim.

  1. Gather Documents to Prove Naturalization or Legal Alien Status

Whether you’re a naturalized citizen through a parent, military service, or another naturalization method, you must show proof of your status as a citizen to receive Social Security Disability benefits. There are different procedures to become naturalized depending on whether you’re naturalized via a parent, spouse, or another process.

Consult the Office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for more information about naturalization documents.  

If you have lawful alien status, you should have proof of that status as well as documentation about your place of birth.  

Get expert legal help with your Social Security Disability claim by calling Glen Cook Social Security Attorney right from the beginning of your application for benefits. We help our clients in the Greater Salt Lake City region, as well as in parts of Wyoming and Colorado, through every step of the Social Security Disability claims process.